21 January 2009

Free wedding cake for all!

Let me start by saying that I was wildly surprised that the party at Sucré was as relatively intimate as it was. Make no mistake, it was busy and quite a success, but I guess I am dogmatic at least to the extent that, as a fervent foodie and sugarholic, I could not comprehend why the rest of the world wouldn't be as enthusiastic as I would about this turning-out of free wedding cake and hors d'oeuvres!

In any case, Jenna and I arrived at our favorite dessert place. Tariq Hanna's cake ideas ranged from the tried-and-true, conventional all-time favorites (white-chocolate almond) to salted caramel (mmm) to this elaborate concoction of coconut and other ingredients (sorry for the ambiguity; there were no slices left on the plate, so I didn't get a taste or even a look). There was even one dark chocolate cake (imagine devil's food to the power of six) slathered with a gooey chocolate buttercream frosting. Mmmmmm. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to take photos.

Hors d'oeuvres were also present -- i.e. vegetable crudités in dill cream cheese and truffled quail eggs (like tiny, tender deviled eggs... with the flavor of truffle... mmm, so help me God). Here's my favorite:
In case you can't see the photo, it's a little shot glass of crabmeat salad over tiny yummy greens topped with a smattering of pickled onion and a single beet chip. The pickled onion was my favorite, as the tartness was the perfect foil to the creamy crab, not to mention the fact that my mother craved vinegar when she was pregnant with me. Isn't there a theory floating around that people love what their pregnant mothers craved?

No comments: